Galaxy Zoo Talk

Z=2.55

• dj_tjitso by dj_tjitso

Just checking if I'm correctly interpreting this chart: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130408.html

This galaxy has a redshift of 2.55, which puts this at a distance of about 11.3 billion lightyears away. Is that correct?

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Distance gets tricky when you look back in an expanding universe. But yes, you are looking across 80% of the observable universe. The "edge" would be 13.77 billion light-years away from us.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=redshift+z%3D2.55&a=FSelect_**LookbackTimeFromRedshift--

Posted

• dj_tjitso by dj_tjitso

That's pretty amazing.

Posted

Mind boggling. Zooites get used to large redshifts. Many astronomers think that 0.05 is a distant galaxy.

Posted

The co-moving distance is 19.6 billion light-years. That is how far away it is now, taking into consideration how much the universe has expanded as the light travelled across the galaxy to Earth. I just threw that in to confuse you. 😃

The distance between us and the galaxy is increasing faster than the speed of light, because the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light. In a few billion years, it will be beyond our event horizon, and we won't be able to see it at all.

Posted

• dj_tjitso by dj_tjitso

That certainly worked. 😃

So lets see if I get this: The universe is 16.4 billion years old, we're 13.77 billion lightyears away from the (farthest) observable edge (assuming we're not in the centre of the universe), which by now is 19.6 billion lightyears away from us due to the expanding universe. Am I close?

Posted

The universe is 13.77 years old (and the last decimal keeps changing and I get bored with checking it) We are in the center of our observable universe. Other galaxies will be in the center of their observable universe.

Posted

• dj_tjitso by dj_tjitso

whoops, I messed up my figures. Can't imagine where I got the 16.4 from. So yeah, definitely confused 😃

Posted