Galaxy Zoo Talk

Thoughts on this?

• ramberts by ramberts

Classified as an AGN, narrow emission line galaxy, looks disturbed on the entire left side, but according to NED no neighbors close enough to cause any interaction. Is the blue part of the galaxy, or is it more likely to be an overlapping galaxy that is illuminating the left side more? And also, is it just me, or is the small galaxy at 6 O-Clock causing a slight debris tail with the AGN host?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ramberts's comment.

The NED source for the "AGN, narrow emission line galaxy" seems to be Szokoly+ (2004). In that, it's #551 in Table 4, with an optical classification of "HEX" and an x-ray one of "AGN-2". The optical classification is "Based on purely the optical spectra" and the description of HEX is given as:

Object with unresolved emission lines and exhibiting high ionization lines or emission line ratios (see Table 6) indicating AGN activity. These objects are dominantly optical type 2 AGNs or QSOs, but in a few cases the optical type 1/2 distinction is not possible based on the data.

The spectrum, in Figure 6, has only five emission lines, H-alpha, H-beta, the [OIII] pair, and [FeVII] (this last one is certainly a "high ionization line"!).

What's odd, to me, is that it seems so puny for a galaxy with a confirmed z of 0.122. Also, the SED in NED is totally weird!

1or CDF-055, which is one of the many names for this object. It comes from a 2002 publication, Giaconni+ (2002)

Posted

• ramberts by ramberts

Jean, thank you for your comment, seeing this galaxy with a fresh pair of eyes, I'm still puzzled on what's going on!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ramberts's comment.

It's strange to me as well ... it does seem that the yellowish blob has an AGN, but whether it's a lopsided disk viewed more or less face on, or a lopsided elliptical, I don't think you could tell without doing some quantiative analysis.

And the two blue, rather linear, clumps? Are they foreground? interacting? I think the only thing you could say for sure is that they are not background to the yellow object! Perhaps the yellow blob being so symmetrical - other than being lopsided! - points to the blue clumps being unrelated?

What do others with eyes sharper than mine think?

Posted