Galaxy Zoo Talk

Is there a way to zoom out?

• ramberts by ramberts

I think I see some disturbance on the top and bottom, zoomout will show it I think, when I click on galaxy zoo examine and view on skyserver, I see a decals browser but it just stays in hour glass mode.

Posted

• ramberts by ramberts

Beauty, nvm, it worked perfectly after I cleared cache on Chrome and ran CCleaner.

http://imagine.legacysurvey.org/?ra=338.5107&dec=1.9159&zoom=15&layer=decals-dr1j

Posted

• ramberts by ramberts

SDSS image
    enter image description here

SDSS vs DECaLS pic. DECaLS seems to show more detail, but looks a little more pixelated at the bright core.

Posted

• KWillett by KWillett scientist, admin, translator

Thanks for troubleshooting the DECaLS browser, @ramberts.

Yes - the color and brightness balance choices are different for DECaLS vs SDSS; one of DECaLS' particular strengths is the sensitivity to faint structures with low surface brightness, like the edges of this galaxy. I've tried to pick image contrasts that emphasize those, somewhat at the expense of the bright cores. One amazing thing that stands out for me in this galaxy is the extension of faint light to the north, which I would have marked as "tidal debris". Maybe evidence of a recent minor merger in this galaxy.

Posted