Galaxy Zoo Talk

Green and Blue Dots

• BenoitBoulet by BenoitBoulet

i noticed there are green and blue (hollow) dots on the right side of this image. I'm really not sure what i'm looking at here, as it could be a digital artifact. However they do look strange.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Both of those dots are optical artifacts, so they are not real.

I am more concerned that your image is incorrectly sized! #wrong_size

Happy Hunting!

Posted

• sat666leg by sat666leg

i've seen a few of these and when i switched from decals image to models there was a pair of purple edge on galaxies way back in the image..?

Posted

The rings are caused by dust on the either the filter or the window of the CDD camera. The dust causes a shadow on the detector.

Do you have an example of the purple edge on galaxies you saw?

Posted

• sat666leg by sat666leg

il check

Posted

• klmasters by klmasters scientist, admin

That size is really way off. Lots going on there, so it looks like the automated pipeline indicating the size of the central galaxy is really wrong.

Posted

• sat666leg by sat666leg

note on size i've had about 3/4 like that..

Posted

Here is a sceenshot of the purple ring artifact in the DECaLS image explorer:

RA,Dec = 1.363, 1.0855

and the image when switching to the DECaLS model examiner:

enter image description here

It looks like the algorithms that are used to generated the model did not know how to interpret the artifact, so it assumed it was a pair of purple non-existent galaxies. I am sure @KWillett will be able to give more information on why the model did this.

It would also be interesting to see how other artifacts get modelled!

Hope this helps, and thanks for pointing it out 😃

Posted

• sat666leg by sat666leg

look at the initial image right at the top on the left ..in decals model the dots are solid green and blue

Posted

Can you give the RA / DEC? so I can have a closer look?

Posted

• sat666leg by sat666leg

there in the image above that started this discussion..
    or right here to the left..
    RA, DEC= 318.3438, 0.9837.

Posted

• dstn by dstn

These blue and green things are an asteroid. In these images, blue = g band, green = r band, and we take those images back to back. The asteroid moves that much in the time between exposures (though shouldn't they be streaked then?). They are "hollow" because of over-aggressive masking of pixels around saturated pixels. When given 'hollow' objects, the source detector can find multiple objects which then get fit as the closest thing it can find, such as these extended and strangely colored "galaxies".

Posted

• KWillett by KWillett scientist, admin, translator

Great to know - thanks, @dstn.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

You learn something new everyday ! 😄 I would have gone with artefact in a heartbeat !

Thanks !

Posted