Galaxy Zoo Talk

Spectra

• Ariaiyc_goingawayn0w by Ariaiyc_goingawayn0w

Just a comment on the spectra looking a little odd to me on SDSS (I'm just a citizen, not a scientist so weird to me might be completely normal)

Could the strangeness (if there is any) be explained by all the merging going on?

Posted

• Ariaiyc_goingawayn0w by Ariaiyc_goingawayn0w

Looking back maybe because the galaxies involved are elliptical? Not as much activity (in general) as in spirals right?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Ariaiyc's comment.

Yes, the spectrum of this galaxy is quite normal, and very much like a 'dead and red' elliptical.

Could the strangeness (if there is any) be explained by all the merging going on?

Apart from it not being strange, yes, the merging is related to the spectrum, but not really directly (well, as far as one can tell, from just this data alone) ... almost all ellipticals* are thought to be the product of at least one 'major merger' of two ~comparably-massive galaxies (which may have both been spirals). In this case, I don't think we can tell if the elliptical is the direct result of the (ongoing) merger we see, or was an elliptical before the merger began; however, it's likely that at least one of the merging galaxies was a spiral (or at least a disk galaxy) before the merging began ...

Hope this helps, and happy hunting! 😃

*except for dwarf ellipticals; they're rather different

Posted