Galaxy Zoo Talk

Object size

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

I found the spectra on earlir data releases from SDSS. But now it seems its size has increased from DR3 in comparison to DECaLS, or is this just a difference in optical representation?

Posted

After closer inspection the distances between objects is different from SDSS and DECaLS, this gives a skewed representation of proximity. Spectrum is regular starforming galaxy, but with cool crown-like shaped outburst in 2MASS survey.

Posted

Could a scientist / moderator please take a look at this feature in 2MASS? Im wondering what it is and whats causing it. Link to object, and set color to 'rainbow'.

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Crown-like shaped outburst..... Object is so pixelated, I can't decided shape. Anyone have an idea?

It looks like a blue galaxy with extreme starforming, so much that any structure is obscured. I find them annoyingly hard to classify.

Sometimes galaxies will appear bigger in different surveys taken under different conditions and using different filters. As you said, it will be an optical effect.

http://aladin.u-strasbg.fr/AladinLite/?target=241.0026 6.0225&fov=0.01&survey=P%2F2MASS%2Fcolor

see

1.10 Dust, red spirals, blue ellipticals, quenching http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000001/discussions/DGZ0000wrb?page=1&comment_id=53d8b7e9db90c76710000f80

enter image description here

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR in response to Budgieye's comment.

It is true its pixelated, to get the image im referring to, in the link select the 'base image layer' button ( small thumbnail with picture of multiple layers in the top left corner) and set the color map to 'rainbow'. Then you'll see what i mean 😃 unfortunally i cant tweak the url to do this right away. aladin link 2MASS

On 1.10, always very informative but im also usually 'informationstruck', theres so MUCH to read!

Thank you for your time and feedback.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Anyone tried importing either/both the DECaLS and SDSS FITS into something like DS9, to see if there are some faint (low surface-brightness differences) features we can't see in the JPEGs?

To me, it looks like a bulge-less, ~face-on disk galaxy, with perhaps an unusual radial profile ...

Posted

Finally can post the pic;
    2MASS rainbow

Posted

Cant find this structure in any other survey. Probably some combination of starformation / tidal debris duo to a merger, although the galaxy in optical looks incredibly undisturbed and perfectly round.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Ghost_Sheep_SWR's comment.

What's the scale here?

What you've posted looks like a highly zoomed-in image, showing, perhaps, nothing more than blurred pixelation combined with sky noise. But, since you noticed it, it's likely to be something other than that ... 😃

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR in response to JeanTate's comment.

Haha, auch! Will recheck, thnx for explanation 😃

Posted

Im seeing same structures around the edge at 11 and 2 in different surveys, but will first experiment with importing the FITS files in DS9 before bothering people again,

Thnx!

SDSS fov 35.95"

2MASS fov 35.95"

Loops?

Update pic

Posted