Galaxy Zoo Talk

Spot feature

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

For my question please see comment. Cold gas / tidal debris combination or something like that?

enter image description here
    SDSS9

SDSS9 False color / Aladin light

Posted

2MASS nice merger features on the galaxy on the right btw 😃

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

For clarity - would you mind posting your question in the thread?

Also, I have no idea what you are referring to when you posted 'vlekje' - English please! Makes it easier having just one language that everyone corresponds in.

Cheers 😃

Posted

Hi Capella05, of course, i sometimes get carried away with the all the data and different surveys, and hope to get an answer here concerning (sometimes to multiple) interesting phenomena / features, for which i have ideas but not enough knowledge to be sure

Question: what is the cause of the 'dark' feature on +/- 5 o'clock in dr9 in the central object, which is represented in the DECaLS image as an artifact-like feature?

In my citizen opinion it might be something like cold gas / dust cloud that has something to do with the nearby presence of a another galaxy on the right in this FOV, but i don't exactly know how, so if it is something that is known / seen on other occasions please enlightening me because i am very curious ( by nature)

If so, how did it end up there, is it common or special, and why is it represented in DECaLS as an artifact?

( the hashtag was just keeping in line with Dutch naming of mystery features, just joking)

PS i think its very cool if most of the questions here get a response from moderators and/or scientists, although i realise this isnt always possible,

Here to learn, contribute and discover

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

The purple spot in the DECaLS image is an artifact. If it has sharp edges and a single colour, it is an artifact. Most are caused by cosmic ray hits.

It may be a coincidence that there is a dark spot on the DR9 image in the same place. If you look around the image, there are other dark spots, and to me, it is a result of pixellation.

see 8.1 Artifacts, cosmic rays http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000001/discussions/DGZ0000wrb?page=8&comment_id=53d8bbef0d43f77bd600103f

Posted