Galaxy Zoo Talk

QSO

• bluemagi by bluemagi

I'll let you figure this one out. Its a merger,ring,tidal debris. Its also a starburst with high OIII and H and it has a AGN ? I give up as to what to do with this one. On skyview its a qso z=o.117.

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Sounds good to me. Radio Galaxy Zoo might help us here, to see the X-ray lobes coming from it.

Merger: if the galaxies are making their first approach, then they don't become disturbed until the approach is about half way finished. We are seeing the top galaxy from a side on perspective, and we can not judge its shape very well, though there is tidal debris, as you said.

The lower galaxy has an Active Galactic Nucleus. It is bright, though not as red as I might expect. Maybe there is a lot of dust. in the way. The upper galaxy may be an AGN too, but we can't look at its nucleus at this angle. A look through the long list of references in NED might lead to X-rays maps of the area. Maybe

The spectral chart shows lots of hot hydrogen, probably around the black hole. There is a rise on the left, indicating lots of UV light is probably being being produced, though SDSS spectra only investigate visible light. There is also hot oxygen, probably from the star forming blue ring.

enter image description here

Posted

• bluemagi by bluemagi

Thanks. It never ceases to amaze me what you can find and see so far away.

Posted

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy in response to bluemagi's comment.

There is radio emission emanating from these galaxies, in particular what appears to be a #compact radio lobe.

The #QSO, SDSS J225810.01-011516.2 has a z_sp=0.117 +/-0.00003,

and its neighbour, SDSS J225810.06-011512.9 has a z_ph=0.135 ± 0.0388,

so maybe #merger or #overlap.

Here's a First image of the lobe,

and an Aladin overlay. Red contour is the compact lobe radio emission. Blue dots DR12 SDSS references and red dots ALLWISE.

It appears that the emission is emanating from SDSS J225810.06-011512.9 as there is a First catalogue emission reference for this galaxy, but there is an ALLWISE source just south of this galaxy, ALLWISE J225810.01-011515.0, and SIMBAD has radio references for the #QSO, SDSS J225810.01-011516.2.

As to the source of the emission, unsure on this.

Maybe others have a view?

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

Almost looks as if both ALLWISE sources are equally off, possible that they just aren't lined up properly with visual / SDSS image and centers?

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

The radio data image doesn't help us much. Maybe the black hole axis is not aligned with the axis of the galaxy?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

A quick look at ALLWISE sources close to a number of smallish, normal-looking galaxies may show something similar: several sources (where you expect one), spaced evenly across the galaxy. If you switch to WISE sources, you may find just a single source.

FIRST has a resolution of ~5", and it's not nicely circular either (in general). So it's not easy to be sure what a FIRST source is associated with, when there are two (or more) optical or IR sources ~within its resolution element.

Aladin can certainly give you some nice (contour) overlay images; however, I think you can create better ones yourself. As I have done, over in RGZ ... in fact I have even created a thread on this: Suggestions for RGZ Objects to show with detailed FIRST contours overlaid on SDSS images

Posted

• bluemagi by bluemagi

I have been looking in my favorites because there was another AGN similar to this one, with a blue small ring. I don't seem to have it. There are a couple with rings AGZ000BDWR and AGZ000BBOE, but I don't think they are like this one.

Posted