Galaxy Zoo Talk

Overlap ?

• bluemagi by bluemagi

There seems to be something going on at the core. I think its an overlap but I am not sure, or a merger. The problem with the merger is the edgeon doesn't look disturbed enought to call it that, but at the core there is a disturbance. Whats your opinion?

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

post in progress

Hmmm... I think the underside of the left galaxy has bright red, in SDSS and that is probably where the hot hydrogen alpha is located, so I think a collision must be feeding its black hole. But you are right, the edge-on doesn't look very disturbed.

I can't decide which one is the quasar, though I would think it is the edge-on on the right.

Possibility 1: The edge-on on the right may be the quasar, with its hot center being masked by the orange-red dust.. and it is squirting radiation at the irregular galaxy on the left? This would be interesting to our scientists, so I'll call a scientist in.

Possibility 2: The galaxy on the left is the quasar. There has been another galaxy involved in the past that has now merged with the galaxy on the left, and the edge-on is either not yet interacting with the quasar on the left, or is an overlap.

Possibility 3: The irregular galaxy on the left is the quasar and the edge-on galaxy is interacting with it. It doen't look very disturbed during the first approach, they look more messed up after the first pass is being completed. So the edge-on is not yet being disturbed.

enter image description here DECaLS Browser

enter image description here SDSS SkyServer

enter image description here SDSS Finding Chart

enter image description here

Posted

• bluemagi by bluemagi

Thanks. I find this one interesting because the edgeon isn't disturbed. One thing though is the core of the other galaxy seems to be off center and facing the core of the edgeon which I strongly think is the quasar. There also is a small gap between the cores. I'll say it even if I am wrong but could both be AGN's ?

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Yes, maybe both are AGN. Place into

Objects that need more research https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000004/discussions/DGZ0000ycq

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

Maybe also a strange / tidal feature in 2MASS image J-BAND? I've changed the interactive buttons here and there (mapping = logarithmic, no inverse etc.

enter image description here

Sort of a triangle-shaped tidal bridge? And maybe a large arc at bottom, but might be chance noise. Doesn't really show up in H- or Ks-band though.

Posted