Galaxy Zoo Talk

Red object / artifact

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

One of the the red objects at 3 0'clock looks like an artifact in DeCALS, but also one faintly visible in SDSS.

Is it only an artifact, or what is it?

enter image description here DeCALS DR3

enter image description here SDSS DR9?

Looks better in SDSS DR13 but cant link a pic; http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr13/en/tools/explore/Summary.aspx?id=1237654601555378523

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

This is my guess: The lower of the small, red objects is an artifact. It has sharp edges and an even colour. In the zoomed out view in DECaLS there is another very

similar artifact to the right. The other small object could be a star.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

I'm with CeciliaB on this one ! 😄

Posted

Yeah, the longer i look the less interesting it becomes. Just coincidental position and colour of an artifact and star/galaxy.. 😕

Hmm dismissed.

Thanks!

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Hey ! Don't get discouraged ! There are lots of strange things to be discovered in these images ! Just keep flagging the ones that you think are strange and you never know. Maybe, just maybe you will find something extra special ! 😄

Posted

Definitely not discouraged! I have been flagging up things since, well ok not that long in GZ terms :p . But although i'm aware that 99.8% of the things that are flagged are probably already known or artifacts i still feel the excitement of the hunt 😃

And still very proud to have contributed to an entry in the Index for Galaxy Zoo Talk!! (4.1) it meant finding something that wasn't in that comprehensive work already $$

Posted