Galaxy Zoo Talk

voorwerpje / AGN cloud

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

The Seyfert 2 galaxy in the centre is one of the galaxies in the NED Reference: "The Galaxy Zoo survey for giant AGN-ionized clouds." It seems to be merging with a

starburst galaxy to the right.

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

Yes there are two spectra for an AGN and a starburst galaxy, the paper mentiones that they are found near disturbed galaxies.

But to be honest looking at the colours of this system in DECaLS and SDSS it really looks like two seperate AGN-ionized clouds to me. Same hue of purple/blue on two very different places. I might have missed it in the paper though if this is true or not...

Nicely spotted BTW!

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

Thanks.

Since the starburst galaxy to the right wasn't mentioned in the reference, I took for granted that the blue cloud at the top of that galaxy was just a starforming area. But you're right, it's a bit confusing that the two clouds have such similar colours. Perhaps the AGN-cloud is a little greener. Otherwise in DECaLS, the other two AGN-clouds I've come across lately : AGZ000c1zt and AGZ000bl0f have a blue colour not too different from that of a starforming area. In SDSS AGN-clouds are supposed to be green. And when one looks at AGN-clouds in Google, they seem to have all sorts of colours from bright blue, red, purple to green. I suppose that's because the surveys are different. There is a lot to learn.

Anyway, AGN-clouds are very beautiful objects in all their different colours!

Posted