Galaxy Zoo Talk

Blueish streak

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

According to NED, this galaxy belongs to the local radio-AGN population. Could that explain the streak in any way?

If it was an artifact, it wouldn't appear in both DECaLS and SDSS, would it?

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

Based mostly on DECaLS Residuals my guess would be overlap with an edge-on galaxy (starforming?) in the background;

enter image description here

http://legacysurvey.org/viewer?ra=236.8723&dec=14.9495&zoom=16&layer=decals-dr3-resid

Looks like a complete galaxy, and it's also not aligned with the exact center of the foreground galaxy.

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

Yes, that could be a possibility. But then the edgeon would be very narrow indeed.

In DECaLS zoomed-out view I just noticed another galaxy a long way to the upper right which has exactly the same redshift (z=0.085) as the galaxy we are discussing. I wonder if the streak could perhaps be the start of some tidal interaction between the two galaxies?

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

On second thoughts, it doesn't look like the beginning of a merger. You're right, the streak must be an edgeon. The galaxies might merge sometime in the future.

Thank you!

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

The galaxies do look really close so must be a pair. I've just not seem blue tidal debris with this shape and position from an elliptical before, but would be cool if it turns out to be just that! 😃

Posted