Galaxy Zoo Talk

Purple-blue object

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

Is it an LCG, Pea or maybe even a very distant Voorwerp (AGN ionized cloud)? The galaxy below is starforming not an AGN, but maybe it was in the past?

A.F. Jonkeren 2017 SDSS DR9
    http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr9/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?id=1237652936183710246

A.F. Jonkeren 2017 PanSTARRS
    http://ps1images.stsci.edu/cgi-bin/ps1cutouts?pos=324.58625+-6.60253&filter=color&filter=g&filter=r&filter=i&filter=z&filter=y&filetypes=stack&auxiliary=data&size=240&output_size=0&verbose=0&autoscale=99.500000&catlist=

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

I must have seen hundreds of these sorts of small, diffuse, irregular blue/green/purple/etc blobs, while doing GZ classifications, and also while checking on objects (using SDSS Examine or Navigate).

I suspect, but have essentially zero hard evidence, that most are fairly local Sd-Irr galaxies, with some star-formation. Some are likely EELRs (extended emission line regions), and some voorwerpjies.

It should be fairly easy to at least start a program/project to study these, something I suspect many an ordinary zooite could do (though it would surely require quite a lot of time, and access to people who could answer lots of questions about the doing of such a project).

Something you'd be interested in?

Posted

Ok thanks for the feedback, looks a little 'Voorwerp'-like to me 😃

I love classifying and finding anomalies. And before flagging them up I try to find out as much as possible about them.

But I believe real follow-up on interesting objects can only be properly done by professionals that have the necessary knowledge and access to data, software, maybe telescope time etc. Something that is unfortunately hardly happening on GZ right now, apart from a few enthusiastic zooites and moderators.

Anyway did you also find these objects with spectra?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Ghost_Sheep_SWR's comment.

I love classifying and finding anomalies. And before flagging them up I try to find out as much as possible about them.

Me too! 😃

Over the years I've found that my "butterfly nature" (flitting from one new bright shiny thing to another) left me unsatisfied and somewhat frustrated. And I realized that it can be so much more rewarding to learn more about at least some of them by doing my own research (you can read about some of my work on Huds here; the Zooniverse Letters site - letters.zooniverse.org/letters - seems to have gone dark 😦).

But I believe real follow-up on interesting objects can only be properly done by professionals that have the necessary knowledge and access to data, software, maybe telescope time etc. Something that is unfortunately hardly happening on GZ right now, apart from a few enthusiastic zooites and moderators.

Indeed, a team with amateurs/volunteers/zooites and professionals is very likely necessary to take the study of something apparently anomalous to conclusion (i.e. a published paper), but a few enthusiastic zooites can take such research a very long by themselves (aren't mods a subset of enthusiastic zooites?).

Anyway did you also find these objects with spectra?

Almost certainly! Which is why, if memory serves, I noted that I think many are local Sd/Irr galaxies.

Posted

Well the work on the Huds looks impressive and thorough! A shame Zooniverse Letters disappeared... I remember checking that site, if i'm correct there were around 8-10 letters. Are you still working on scientific projects?

Well maybe in the future I will focus on one subject (but not all alone for sure), right now I like to butterfly around, I think there is yet still things to discover for zooites. And besides I still have my own gravity theory to develop further, so enough to do 😃 😃

Posted