Galaxy Zoo Talk

Noise?

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

Round both galaxies and especially below the central one, there are faint cloud-like objects. In SDSS these clouds have a dark red colour. Somehow these objects look slightly more solid than just 'noise'. They are also visible in DECaLS.

What could these elusive objects be, just noise?

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

enter image description hereenter image description hereenter image description hereenter image description here

No SDSS photometric object, larger galaxy is z=0.13, smaller one has PhotoZ of z=0.110081 zErr=0.013202 so that's not VERY helpful. But since this is a larger cluster (NED) and there seems to be quite some tidal debris I think it's reasonably safe to say these two are interacting and causing tidal streams all around. Larger galaxy is nearly certain an AGN although I'm missing the usual W3/W4 detections.

This cluster has a 'Abell Richness Class 4' which means 200–299 galaxies are members. Which seems a bit much to me but hey, I'm not gonna count em all 😃

AND it is also in the small VIKING area, so here is my first attempt at trying to make sense of this data:

enter image description here

Which really makes it looks like two distinct seperate objects to me. You can try yourself here: http://cutout.icrar.org/psi.php

So long story short, first thought was maybe a background cluster / merger. But because of all the tidal debris maybe it belongs to the interacting pair, but then the color would not make really sense (red/magenta vs. blue)?

Hmm two seperate reddish deformed objects... is not really 'tidal debris'-like behaviour. So background interacting pair or maybe smaller satellite galaxies that got cought up in the big boys fight?

If nothing else then magenta/dark blue clouds near an AGN is always a good Voorwerp candidate 😄

Oh and sorry to actually answer your question; clearly visible in multiple surveys / telescopes no it's not noise.

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

Thanks for your thorough and interesting analysis.

The smaller galaxy does have a redshift = 0.13004, which is rather similar to the redshift of the larger galaxy = 0.13037. So there is an evident interaction, as you say, which would be the cause of all the tidal debris.

These are fuzzy, distant galaxies. Perhaps tidal debris appear in different and darker colours at these far away distances?

Posted