Galaxy Zoo Talk

A view to fly for

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

Here's a Hubble close-up of the nucleus. Unfortunately I am unable to get the files to align perfectly and couldn't use all the ones I wanted, so this isn't the most optimal image 😕 .

enter image description here

image credit: NASA / HST / AF Jonkeren created using Aladin Desktop

I sort of expected maybe to see a double nucleus / merger due to the elongated nucleus in the SDSS image. But that doesn't seems to be the case. It is very 'messy' and has some sort of layered sandwich structure? Which also looks like it is reflecting the light from the nucleus but that might just be my human brain applying earthly perception 😃.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Ghost_Sheep_SWR's comment.

Cool! 😃

Looks a bit like a bi-polar bubble (at least somewhat filled) with multiple dust lanes crossing, more-or-less perpendicular to the axis. With the AGN at the center. This shape is not at all uncommon; the eta Carina "homunculus", for example, the Fermi bubbles, and even some radio double lobes ...

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR in response to JeanTate's comment.

Thanks!

Maybe, although the Fermi bubbles are perfect mathematical spheres compared to this chaos 😃 These have the feel of rotating / spiraling material to me. It's a giant croissant!

Posted