Galaxy Zoo Talk

SDSS J093924.11+322145.8 and surroundings

• JeanTate by JeanTate

SDSS J093924.11+322145.8 is a star ... or is it?

enter image description here

~4" away is UGC 05146 NED01 (NED link), and ~17" away, UGC 05146 itself.

What do you think?

Sorry, I don't have an AGZ, or other GZ identifier.

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

AGZ000czxm is one.

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

If you go by the look of it, it seems to be a star. It is uneven with sharp edges, characteristic of oversaturated stars in our images. It also has diffraction spikes. I don't suppose these would appear from a bright nucleus?

My guess is that a star is superimposed on the nucleus of UGC 5146.

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR in response to CeciliaB's comment.

I think the nucleus is just left (9:00) of the bright object, with a tiny bar.

EDIT: NVSS J093924+322147 / SDSS J093924.79+322146.7 is also radio source.

http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-id?Ident=%409668696&Name=NVSS J093924%2B322147&submit=submit

http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr14/en/tools/explore/Summary.aspx?id=1237664869751128113

Bright object is also TYC 2501-1361-1 so I'm thinking it is indeed a star (very low pm ~ near 0).

http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-id?Ident=%406704772&Name=TYC 2501-1361-1&submit=submit

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

If you click on NVSS J093924+322147-Radio-source in SIMBAD you end up on top of the tiny bar (if it is a bar) in Aladin Lite, but if you click on UGC 5146, you get to a point just to the left of the star. So the radio source and the nucleus of the blue spiral seem to be at two different places.

Posted

Hmm, might be because SIMBAD object type UGC 5146 is 'Interacting galaxies' instead if a single object, perhaps not so precise.

If you go to SDSS object page of SDSS J093924.79+322146.7 it says 'galaxy', and under the button 'Look up common name' it's the NVSS radio object.

Yeah that's a tiny bar at the nucleus of the disturbed spiral, have I told you about my a-ma-zing eyesight before?

Posted

Just made this with 1 finger on smartphone to aid you in understanding what is happening here 😉 lol

enter image description hereenter image description here

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

I could easily see the spiral arms, thank you 😃 But if the nucleus of the spiral is at the tiny bar, why then does it say in NED under UGC 05146, note 3: 'Interacting pair.... Star superposed on nucleus...'? The star is a long way from the tiny bar. The scientists involved ought to be more precise than that one would think. There is a small oblong yellow dot next to the star at 11:00. I wonder if that could be the nucleus? There seems to be a ring of starformation around it.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

diffraction spikes (diffspikes): every source of light will have associated diffspikes, including extended sources. We see them in SDSS (and other) images associated with bright, point sources. Almost always these are stars in our own galaxy, but I think some supernovae may have been bright enough that their diffspikes are visible. Ditto some of the brightest quasars/QSOs.

radio source: here's the FIRST cutout; you can get a better idea of its shape by looking at the Radio Galaxy Zoo field ARG0001l8g:

Curiously, here is the center (highest radio intensity), (144.8544, 32.3618):

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR in response to CeciliaB's comment.

Ah ok great! 😃

Well I'm guessing that is probably because the Note is from 1976. Just looking at DSS that makes sense.

So radio source is actually off mark? Perhaps not associated then.

Posted