Galaxy Zoo Talk

SkyServer / Galaxy Zoo Image Disrepencies

• james_involute by james_involute

My second classification this evening and two out-of-the-ordinary effects!

Firstly the nucleus appears to have a distinct dark spot (very similar to that reported for object AGZ00034of ) yet in neither case does that same darkening appear when referring back to SkyServer. If this is over-exposure, I've not encountered it from galaxies before and I'd expect to see the effect in both image sources.

http://skyservice.pha.jhu.edu/DR8/ImgCutout/getjpeg.aspx?ra=351.14719775&dec=6.08207359&scale=0.1980635&width=512&height=512&opt=&query=

Also unusual, this superficially smooth galaxy has some curious structure around the nucleus. Its almost as if we are looking at a near perfect alignment/overlap of a smooth elliptical and spiral disk galaxies. Alternatively, could this possibly class as a #lenticular galaxy?

Would anyone else like to comment!? #questions

Posted

• klmasters by klmasters scientist, admin

Since the odd bit in the middle doesn't appear in both types of images from SDSS it's got to be an artifact. There's a chance it's a bright optical quasar causing it.... #vrooje could comment better on that.

Posted

• klmasters by klmasters scientist, admin

I see the spiral structure in the outer parts too. Nice catch. This is a spiral which looks a lot like an ellipitical. 😃

Posted

• Terrance_L._Johnson by Terrance_L._Johnson

When I saw the ghostly spiral form around the nucleus my first impression was lenticular. That's my story and I'm sticky with it. 😃

Posted