Posted

• Freethesouls by Freethesouls

#Spaceship #Rocket

Posted

• PDXDave by PDXDave

Any ideas what caused it?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

With these distortions I'm thinking merger but there is no sign of another disturbed galaxy in the vicinity. Maybe a flyby ?

Posted

• PDXDave by PDXDave

A flyby galaxy that warped it without colliding? Interesting. I wonder if a wide shot of the region would show a likely culprit.

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s

#odd ball #merger 2MASX J01361752+0334435 posted in the Oddball thread in November its cool

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

Also have a look at the zoomed-out image in the Navigate tool on SDSS SkyServer.

Posted

• Lovethetropics by Lovethetropics

http://skyservice.pha.jhu.edu/DR8/ImgCutout/getjpeg.aspx?ra=24.07148395&dec=3.57793159&scale=0.79224&width=512&height=512&opt=&query=
    Maybe the huge elliptical galaxies are provoking the changes and starforming clumps

Posted

• PDXDave by PDXDave

Thank you for the links! Really fascinating stuff.

Posted

• delete_adc0630b by delete_adc0630b

Posted

• Taras.maxymgmail.com by Taras.maxymgmail.com

what about black hole. people say merger but cant see it . its got to be black hole you cant see them.

Posted

• Taras.maxymgmail.com by Taras.maxymgmail.com

oh and by cant see it . i mean the other galaxy witch is the merger

Posted

• jamesmcdougz by jamesmcdougz

entire galaxy sucked into black hole at top-right of image !

Posted

• jamesmcdougz by jamesmcdougz

Perhaps Black Holes have a Slip-Stream?

Posted

• Otarpheus by Otarpheus

http://www.flickr.com/photos/petersonkhanphotography/8347717885/in/set-72157632440189962/

Posted

• Otarpheus by Otarpheus

So can any one explain this. It is a daytime shot of the! sun with anomalies in the frame.

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/petersonkhanphotography/8347717885/in/set-72157632440189962/

Posted

• Otarpheus by Otarpheus

An inverted version:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/petersonkhanphotography/8348776212/in/set-72157632440189962/#/

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Hi Otarpheus,
    This is a merger of two galaxies.

Posted

• iczesmv by iczesmv

so cool!

Posted

• espanolajuan by espanolajuan

close up it shows the system turning in the back round, as it shines off rockets hall.

Posted

• DolphinGirl285 by DolphinGirl285

That's unbelievable! It's a really cool galaxy.

Posted

• pcris by pcris

zutopian

zutopian
    With these distortions I'm thinking merger but there is no sign of another disturbed galaxy in the vicinity. Maybe a flyby ?

#doublenucleus It is indeed a merger.

What do you think of the possibility of a collision with a hypothetical #dark matter galaxy! so the joke more seriously ...?

Posted

• pcris by pcris

I used today a simple program on Linux that I simulated a central collision of a planetary system with 750 planets (to simulated a galaxy), with a massive body (to represent the #dark matter). And Wow!** The result was a triangular shape similar even in details with what we see here!** I'm curious how it would look a more detailed simulation made ​​with more powerful tools.
    A collision of two normal galaxy seems to have other shape...

Posted

• Tony_Wei by Tony_Wei

Could the marked object on the left be a flyby galaxy?1

Posted

• jstoke by jstoke

Here is what I see ... and I did think about unseen black holes, and the other objects nearby at first, but will offer an explanation that is simpler, and only speculation. Start with a ring galaxy ... you can still see the deformed ring at the "base" of the triangular shape. Impact that ring with a second galaxy of any sort, pushing the impact area ring stars toward the nucleus, forming them into the base of the triangle, creating that perplexing sharp point at the lower right. We now have 2 nuclei interacting, and can see the 2 nuclei clearly. They may have captured one another due to gravity, creating a binary system, or may still be in motion. A large amount of the stars carry the momentum of the original non-ring galaxy and are rushing in the direction of the original trajectory, forming the apex of the triangle, the "pointy end". It may or may not be helped in this deformation by the many other objects in the direction of the pointy end.

Posted

• weareedges by weareedges

wow this is amazing

Posted

• MEANA by MEANA

Magnetismo muy intenso del Aguejero Negro

Posted

• MEANA by MEANA

Materia Oscura

Posted

• jyotish kumar modanwal by jyotish kumar modanwal

yes