How to classify this

• raul_martinez by raul_martinez

Are these three galaxies merging?

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s

cool picture unsure maybe #overlap

Posted

• trevor_allen_faller by trevor_allen_faller

overlap from our perspective, remember galaxies look close in 2 dimensions but in reality the third dimension distance is lost. there is great distances between them, if they were merging they would be pulling each other apart

Posted

• DavidEW77 by DavidEW77

How Fantastic is this image??!! Three separate galaxies all of which are in a galactic dance and each look to be different styles of galaxy formations! I believe there ages look to be all much different as well, (not a fact just own conjecture)
    I bet if the powers to be that run this project site bounce this image back to NASA to be confirmed then officially cleaned up and released, it will be such a hugely popular image and I think help others get more involved and interested in this science and field of work.
    D.Western

Posted

• DavidEW77 by DavidEW77

trevor allen faller, is correct explaining the optical illusion that's caused by our loss of the third dimension per our earthy optical perspective. These galaxies however may still be part of a galactic family gravitationally inter locked, yet still too far apart to influence any disturbances that can be observed at least within in the visual light spectrum. Thoughts?

Posted

• Mgorman by Mgorman

Could this be two galaxies, with one being a #polar_ring?

Posted

• trevor_allen_faller by trevor_allen_faller

back row lenticular, middle spiral, front elliptical, no data on NED to be a group just a nice overlapping image no tidal to suggest merger

Posted

• Terrance_L._Johnson by Terrance_L._Johnson

Amazing overlap! It looks as if it could have been done in PhotoShop. 😃

Posted

• PattyD by PattyD

This looks rather surprising, but I think that they all just lie in the same line of sight. Galaxies as large and complicated as these are would be ripping each other apart and throwing debris everywhere if they were anywhere near enough to influence each other. They each have a different color with the lower horizontal one almost white, the horizontal galaxy in the middle has a lot of blue from new stars and the highest galaxy the familiar orange of old elliptical galaxies.

Posted

• pcris by pcris

Great overlap! 😃

Posted