Galaxy Zoo Talk

Merger of 3?

• Terrance_L._Johnson by Terrance_L._Johnson

I'm not entirely sure this is a true merger of 3 galaxies (there is some disturbance going on), but it is an unusual image. Looks like 3 peas in a pod!

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

#merger : looks like a galaxy, which has triple nucleus #triplenuclei
    also #available_in_dr7
    #howtoclassify
    maybe #lens effect?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

no lens. Definitely merger

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

I wonder if there could be two dust lanes crossing the galaxy that make it look like it's separated into three segments. That would certainly indicate a disturbance.

Posted

• chechemonkey by chechemonkey

what kind of a disturbance would that make? and why would there be a disturbance?

Posted

If two (or more) galaxies get close to each other they interact gravitationally. And their original shape will get distorted. With elliptical galaxies the distortion will not be that obvious at first.

Posted

• chechemonkey by chechemonkey

so basically it is this:
    these galaxies get close to each other and their gravities interact and and that makes their shapes distorted...? #ElisabethB

Posted

Erm, no. Because of their mass galaxies that get close to each other will interact (distortions, etc). If you think it is a merger, always look for distortions in the galaxies.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

I'm going to say no dustlanes, and could be at least one #overlap. I suspect that a detailed model of this - as three Sersic-profile objects - would be consistent with overlapping ellipticals, and no disturbance (Elliptical galaxies often have 'deVaucouleurs' profiles, which is one kind of Sersic profile; google is your friend 😄 !)

Posted

• Terrance_L._Johnson by Terrance_L._Johnson

Glad you "star scratchers" found this interesting!

Posted

• deano384 by deano384

How about two foreground stars either side of the galaxy core? The other foreground stars are of similar brightness. This might explain the lack of distortion/disturbance.

Posted

I'm thinking three galaxies.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

#no_lens

Posted