Galaxy Zoo Talk

Time Lapse?

• Mjtbarrett by Mjtbarrett

Is the telescope moving or does this imply moving objects?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

If every object in the image has the same effect, it's probably an image processing artifact. Like a filter misalignement.

Posted

My hero! Good evening:) I found a new (very impressive) toy:
    http://hubblesite.org/gallery/behind_the_pictures/meaning_of_color/rgb.php
    Is filter alignment a software issue after data is obtained from space and therefore a processing error or can the alignment be altered from earth? Just curious so no need to reply:)

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

This is probably a great site. (haven't checked it out yet)
    But this image is an SDSS pic, not a Hubble one, so .....

Posted

Ah...SDSS.
    A newbie blushes, sighs and shuffles away. Sadly....
    Went to the skyserver thing and found several flags identifying these issues! Some learning has taken place, even if I can't seem to copy and paste the information 😃 Progress! 😃

Posted

• Edd by Edd scientist

There's multiple observations of this, so the skyserver might present you with a different one than we've used.

There's something unusual in how this frame got taken though, that's for sure. It's only exhibiting this issue in part of the frame, and how that happened is mildly baffling to me - it probably means the telescope got a bit of a bump or a jitter while the image was being taken but I'm not 100% sure. I might ask around on this one - thanks!

Posted

Curiouser and curiouser.... Thanks very much for taking an interest gang. 😃 I wonder if (in general terms) a meteor shower would affect part of an image in this way?

Posted