Galaxy Zoo Talk

Optical artifact or something else?

• Mjtbarrett by Mjtbarrett

...or too fuzzy to tell? Possibly ionising gas cloud, voorwerpje or airbrushed by Rolf Harris...

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Yes ! 😉
    I'd go for too fuzzy to tell

Posted

Lol. Thanks very much ElisabethB. I give in. From now on too fuzzy to tell will be my mantra... Usually 😉

Posted

Zutopian you managed to smooth it beautifully! The discrete green areas (like gas clouds) are still visible as well, just smoother. Neat trick! What would this one look like less pixellated? Would it just appear looking like an asteroid?

Posted

Hmm. Nice job but no nearer a classification. I am now tempted to agree to star. Apologies for not being able to post it properly but c/f http://skyserver.sdss3.org/dr8/en/tools/chart/chart.asp?ra=316.91898702&dec=-4.65903185

Posted

Hi zutopian, it is the wider image found when you go to the sky server thing and click on get image that I was referring to. There is a star in the wider field that looks (upside down) similar to the colour ways in the smoothed image that you provided. I'm doing the vast majority of my GZ efforts on an iPad which doesn't allow me to right click and get properties. In short, I can't usually post the images in discussions. Frustrating, but this site is better behaved than Planethunters, or any of the other zooniverse projects in terms of functionality for iPad users.
    These things are sent to try us 😃

Posted

If I understood that, or felt confident that my aged old iPad could cope, I would probably be really happy to try to do it... 😃
    I'm going to play the dim newbie card here...!

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

This is a Hubble image, so you won't be able to see it on the SDSS Skyserver.

I doubt this is a star; it looks like a distant galaxy. It's possible the blue part is something odd going on between the blue band (which uses images from the ACS camera on Hubble) and the red and green (which use the WFC3 camera, also on Hubble), but it's also possible it's a real feature, which would mark it as most likely a heavily star-forming region in the galaxy.

Posted

Hello vrooje. When I said to zutopian "There is a star in the wider field that looks (upside down) similar to the colour ways in the smoothed image that you provided" I was trying to illustrate the point about the colour ways looking similar on the Fuzzy Hubble image and a random star from SDSS. The best advice I've received to date has led me to regard " fuzzy Hubble blobs" as being beyond my capacity to interpret. I shall stop marking them as such from now on and not comment on them further until I get much better at this.
    Thanks again for helping out.

Posted

• Blackprojects by Blackprojects

That is a Candles image so it is a Very Long way out way beyond the Reach of the SDSS so Looking for it in the SDSS is a waste of Time!

Posted

We didn't. Sorry for not being able to post the image I referred to, but it was simply meant to be an illustration of the blend of colours seen around a star. If the SDSS star image were then blurred or pixelated you would see something very similar to the Hubble image. The fuzzy blobs in the Hubble images are difficult to assess; I was using something much closer, that looked similar, to make the comparison. Besides, it's my time to waste... 😃

Posted