Galaxy Zoo Talk

Lensed galaxy? Or triple nucleus?

• Mjtbarrett by Mjtbarrett

Could this be a lensed AGN or QSO, seeming to appear as a triple nucleus? Also ?? ionising gas clouds (blue/green and purple regions) or optical artifact.
    Alternatively, this could be a brand new alien spacecraft with the badly framed pilot posing for a picture in the bottom left of the frame... You know when you get a new car for the wife and she asks for a photograph....
    Answers on a postcard to...

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

The image quality is not excellent in this part of the SDSS field, but given the density of stars in the rest of the field here (click on the object name, then Examine, then SkyServer, then click the photo and "Get Image" to zoom out -- sorry, I know that's a lot of clicks), I suggest this is a superposition of three stars along nearly the same line of sight.

Posted

@vrooje, thanks very much for taking the time to reply. Three stars in alignment... Why not, it's a big universe. Is the false colour border just an optical artifact then, rather than anything significant?
    I'm using an iPad 95% of the time and am unable to post images such as the one you suggest. I don't suppose that you know of a method that doesn't involve right clicking do you?
    Thanks again for helping me out. Much appreciated.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Mjtbarrett's comment.

mjtbarrett

I'm using an iPad 95% of the time and am unable to post images such as the one you suggest. I don't suppose that you know of a method that doesn't involve right clicking do you?
    Thanks again for helping me out. Much appreciated.

What vrooje suggests will get you to the bigger picture where you can zoom in and out. It's not about posting these pics. Oh, and there is no right clicking involved, just clicking ! 😃

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

a #poorqualityimage from the #scarffield
    There is further information on the Forum:
    http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=280383.0

Posted

Hi Elisabeth, thank you:-) I'm ok with seeing the images on skyserver, and with zooming in. I don't seem to be able to zoom out any further, and can't "get properties" to be able to post a bigger image in a discussion.
    I have a collection called "hidden treasures," which is a collection of really interesting images that are hiding in the wider skyserver image, and which I would like to share, but lack competence. That's what I was getting at really. I shall persevere and hope for enlightenment. Or buy a laptop and have done with it lol.

Posted

Like this one; a close up of the "Bubble Nebula." http://skyserver.sdss3.org/dr8/en/tools/chart/navi.asp?ra=357.58892796&dec=55.15364174 It's a shame it's not an Hubble image... with the two foreground stars I could've called it a "Double Hubble Bubble" nebula.
    Not after a few beers, of course...

Posted