Galaxy Zoo Talk

Asteroids, lensing or artifact??

• Mjtbarrett by Mjtbarrett

Probably artifact, but any other opinions? Wondered about asteroids or (my favourite) some form of gravitational lensing?? Especially given the inverted red and brown clumps at top and bottom and close clustering of bright images. Could just be a chance alignment of stars? I'm a bit stuck and would value an opinion. Thanks.

Posted

Thanks ElisabethB, but would misaligned filters necessarily explain the two white stars but three bright filter spots and the inverted image of the red and brown clusters?? Is there a chance that this could be caused by lensing?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

The bright ones are all stars and I think they had a problem with the filters as you can see in the zoomed out (and rotated) pic.

The top and bottom brown/red ones could also be faint stars.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Re lensing : the central objects are all stars, so I don't see how they can cause lensing on this scale ! Sorry !

Posted

ElisabethB you are terrific, thanks. I was thinking more of the star cluster appearing as a result of the light from a background star being bent around a black hole or something. The image above is pretty conclusive though, so thanks very much. 😃

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

#poorqualityimage
    #misregisteredimage

Posted