Galaxy Zoo Talk

galaxy formation and spiral arms

• deano.d by deano.d

this is as much a question to myself as to anyone interested (and preferably qualified beyond my ameture status) in 3 parts. This image is in a prime position to observe the spirals. First, is the spiral form a developement in the formation of galaxies in general? If so is this a part of the developement of a supermassive black hole? What role does dark matter play in the developement of spirals if any? [Or is dark matter just a general gravitaional force that collects matter {maybe a 4 part question?}?]

Posted

• williamaskew by williamaskew

dunno if this helps. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110109184020.htm

Posted

• deano.d by deano.d

I'm relatively (must be a slip) certain that a super massive black hole is important for galaxy formation, and probably a dwarf galaxy is a big one growing. I was reading Relativity (sub titled, a clear explanation that anyone can understand) a few aha moments in the General relativity "laws" but then I read the appendix #5 ln my edition. long story short my main interest is in gravitation, so yes it helps some, I'll read that better, later. thanks

Posted