Galaxy Zoo Talk

Visible supernova in host Galaxy UGC-02829

• williamaskew by williamaskew

Supernova SN2006kf is visible here in SO Galaxy UGC 02829. Here is the link to the location and i can find no other star near here other than the SN. If you line up the stars in DR8 it is exactly where it should be http://www.astrosurf.com/snweb2/2006/06kf/06kfHome.htm

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

The name of the supernova is SN2006kf. This means that this particular SN was seen in 2006. It isn't visible anymore. The bright blob is a foreground star. Sorry !
    I got excited about a SN many times before someone pointed that out to me too !

Posted

I Know about the year in the name but that isnt to say when this image was taken. Is there any way to find that out? Honestly if you compare the images they match up to a tee. I didnt post this lightly, if you look at the image on the link there is no star there.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

I've been trying to find a date as to when these images where taken but no luck.
    I still think it is a foreground star though. The image you link too is very small and the star could get lost in the glare of the galaxy.
    But I really hope I'm wrong. That would be an amazing pic !

Posted

I thought that too but I can see every star in the DR8 image that is on the SN image no matter how small. Even that little smudge at the top of the galaxy. I have to find out about this!

Posted

Discovery date October 21, 2006. Date of this image October 23, 2006. Two days apart making this a colour image of SN2006kf

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

That's a really impressive find -- have you checked the literature to see what has been published regarding this supernova?

Els, the date an image was taken is in a few places, including (of course) the FITS header of the data image, but an easier place to find it is in the Field area of SkyServer (in the left-hand PhotoObj menu). The dates are recorded in terms of the Modified Julian Date, so the fields you'd be looking for are mjd_? where ? is one of the bands (ugriz). The dates of the different bands will only be off by a few minutes from each other at most.

I previously shared this page for converting MJD to a day, month, year date, but there are many others (e.g., 1 & 2). There are some minor complexities in the conversion, like leap seconds etc., and I haven't checked them all to see if they're consistent.

Posted

Yes I did and even the SDSS image collaboration for SNs at UC Berkely dont have this and that is where the find came out of (well KAIT at the Lick). I sent you a link with the discovery image and info

Posted

• turelli by turelli

absolutely amazing!

Posted

Thanks Turelli. I PMed you

Posted