Galaxy Zoo Talk

UGC-07910- Interesting Morphological Arguments

• williamaskew by williamaskew

Really interesting arguments about the morphology of this Galaxy. 1: a chain of galaxies in the process of formation by fragmentation 2: A clumpy bar-like irregular galaxy 3: A barred spiral galaxy with short poorly defined arms. Zwicky (CGCG, 1966)referred to this object as a disrupted spiral.
    Astronomy and Astrophisics, vol 88, no. 1-2, Aug. 1980, pgs 94-96
    Thoughts?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

I'd probably go for a disturbed two-armed, barred spiral. ;-D

Posted

• williamaskew by williamaskew

I lean towards the chain of galaxies theory. I think any thing that could cause that much disruption would've warped that bar also. It seems quite intact,

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

I see what you mean, but .... 😄
    Maybe, I'll go for a barred irregular
    I just can't think of a mechanism that involves a chain of galaxies and a bar like this.
    We'll probably never know.
    And that is the beauty of GZ. All the different classifications (and this thread) will alert the scientists that this is a special galaxy

Posted

• trevor_allen_faller by trevor_allen_faller

its either a) a clumpy bar-like irregular b)barred spiral with short poorly formed arms or a disrupted spiral ref. http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?bibcode=1980A%26A....88...94S&db_key=AST&page_ind=0&data_type=GIF&type=SCREEN_VIEW&classic=YES

Posted

• williamaskew by williamaskew in response to trevor allen faller_ErrorDupUsername's comment.

see first comment

[trevor allen faller](#/users/trevor allen faller "trevor allen faller")
    its either a) a clumpy bar-like irregular b)barred spiral with short poorly formed arms or a disrupted spiral ref. http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?bibcode=1980A%26A....88...94S&db_key=AST&page_ind=0&data_type=GIF&type=SCREEN_VIEW&classic=YES

Posted

• s.kamada by s.kamada

I see only A barred spiral galaxy with short poorly defined arms. Only, no more

Posted

• KWillett by KWillett scientist, admin, translator

Good questions - I think there's evidence for both the clumpy fragmentation and the barred irregular morphology in this galaxy. It's been classified in previous papers as an interacting group, but the smoothness of the main disk argues that it's relatively stable. I would love to see high-resolution spectra of this galaxy so we could actually make a map of its velocity, rather than just the few points referenced in the paper by @wtaskew and @trevor allen faller.

It's also interesting to note that professional catalogs don't agree on the number of individual objects associated with this system. There are at least 20 separately objects (mostly from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey) in this field, meaning that the data pipeline separately identified all of those bright, likely star-forming clumps. http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/cgi-bin/nph-objsearch?search_type=Near+Position+Search&RA=191.032804989069&DEC=45.0113064782664&SR=0.0166666667

Has anyone looked at the images in Examine? Does your opinion of the morphology change at all when looking at, for example, the ultraviolet (u-band) images vs. the near-infrared (z-band)?

Posted