Galaxy Zoo Talk

Normal Star Overlap?

• Terrance_L._Johnson by Terrance_L._Johnson

Normally I would just list this star as an overlap, but it is so small I was wondering if it might be something else taking place within the galaxy? Any ideas?

Posted

• Alpha_Aurigae by Alpha_Aurigae

Supernova? I think it is a good candidate 😃

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Unless you have some before and after images or spectra for the galaxy and the dot , it is just guessing. Sorry !

Posted

And that is why I am quickly losing interest in finding supernovae, unfortunately 😦

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Alpha Aurigae's comment.

Serious question: why did you expect that it would be otherwise?

Expanding a bit: I may well be wrong (I am often wrong), but the way it seems you were (considering) searching for SNe in SDSS images is something machines (software) are extremely good at, and given how intense the interest in SNe is, surely a method that at least one professional astronomer (or team thereof) would have already implemented, wouldn't you say?

Posted

Ah, you never know one might have been overlooked by the astronomers. But I have stopped looking for them. I have toyed with the idea of finding them for a couple a weeks now, and I am ready to throw in the towel.

Posted

• williamaskew by williamaskew

its not so much of discovering a SN but rather the colour images that have been passed over.

Posted

LOL !

Keep on looking ! Maybe there is something for all of us to find ! ;D

But looking through the SDSS images to look for SN's is, well, futile ! 😄

Posted

I have checked some of the images on Sky View, and the foreground stars were also there. Are the Sky View images the same as on Skyserver, or taken at a different time?

Posted

We've got DS 7 trough to 9 I think.

Posted

I may have given up looking for supernovae, but I will keep on looking for other interesting stuff. There must be something for us to find out there that hasn't been found before, something that will be a big contribution for astronomy. It is one of the reasons why I am a GZ volunteer. But after all these years of Galaxy Zoo, what are the chances of a GZ volunteer making an important discovery, something on the level of Hanny's Voorwerp?

Posted

No idea ! But if you are just a very active zooite you will find something or you will get included in some or other paper or study ! I know I have ! 😄 And if it happened to me it can happen to you ! 😄

Posted

Fingers crossed 😃

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Alpha Aurigae's comment.

I can't answer the question you end with, but I can suggest some "something for us to find out there that hasn't been found before, something that will be a big contribution for astronomy" 😄

enter image description here

This is an unusual galaxy: if you ignore the middle it looks rather like a giant elliptical; if you ignore the outer part, it looks like a somewhat strange 2-arm inclined spiral with a dust lane, one that's a bit unusual in its colors. There are also rather a lot of orange-red blobs; perhaps they're a background cluster, perhaps they're strange satellite galaxies, perhaps ...

Have you ever seen any other galaxies like this, in SDSS? Finding more would be ... well, I think it'd be really cool.

Posted