Galaxy Zoo Talk

?overlap

• Mjtbarrett by Mjtbarrett

Bar spiral with ?ring and edge-on with dustlane. SkyServer image shows satellite trail. Beautiful image of a ?galactic pair?? There doesn't seem to be much interaction. There are lots of references to the galaxies with a number of cross IDs.

Posted

• mcknightd0108 by mcknightd0108

I too don't see much interaction between these galaxies; seems like a clear case of #overlap. (Nice picture of a satellite trail.)

Posted

Thank you mcknightd0108 😃 I'm glad that it isn't just me!
    The majority seem to be going with merger... Not the first time I've bucked the trend lol 😃

Posted

Looking again at the classification image I wonder if the edge-on does have its own dustlane? Possibly the barred ring spiral is in front and the apparent dustlane is actually part of the larger foreground galaxy? The galaxy on the left looks (by eye) to be darker or more red in the area of the overlap - could it be because the blue is being absorbed by the larger (? foreground) galaxy dust?
    Still an overlap for me.

Posted

• Half65 by Half65

According to redshift value the right one (z = 0.054849) is in front of the second one (z = 0.075032). Definetly #overlap IMHO and a great ones.

Posted

• frons by frons

To complete the tags: #satellitetrail

Posted

Thanks for the support Half65 and frons 😃
    I have bucked the trend before, but it looks like this may be the first time I've turned out to be right to do so!
    @Half65 Just out of curiosity how big a distance does a redshift of z=0.020183 represent in miles? I'm guessing that it is significant even though it looks a very small numerical difference.

Posted

• Half65 by Half65

@mjtbarret
    I'm not an expert or an astronomer. In my knowledge the real distance is influenced by the Hubble Costant. I'm using an on line converte. According to that z=0.020183 correspond to 277 900 000 l.a. 1.634*10 ^ 21 miles.

Posted

Thank you @Half65. You're way more expert and knowledgeable than me. I sometimes forget about the scale of these objects. Seeing numbers that would make no difference to my bank account but mean a distance in mileage of a number with 21 noughts after it is amazing. I'm grateful to you for doing the conversion. It may have little scientific value but it meant a great deal to me and my understanding of scale. Thanks.

Posted

See: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/mar/18/galaxy-zoo-crowdsourcing-citizen-scientists

Posted