Galaxy Zoo Talk

Arc?

• Wrenchman by Wrenchman

What do think, is there a arc or not?

Posted

• Bioman94 by Bioman94

Do you tell about the blue straight line?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

It's a weird picture, but I have no idea !

Posted

• Mjtbarrett by Mjtbarrett

Looks similar to http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/objects/AGZ00041dn

Posted

• Wrenchman by Wrenchman

I'm not talking about the blue part, I'm talking about the part to the left of the blue.

Posted

SIMBAD has several references. Amongst them is "COSMOS 2020537 - Active Galactic Nucleus." This is probably an AGN, it is certainly an x-ray point source, and it is also luminous. If so, it is possible that some form of lensing could occur, therefore you could be right about a lensing arc.
    The blue dot near the centre, the blue strip curving down and left and the scattering of deep blue luminous dots around the galaxy are really interesting. There are large objects near the edge of the frame to the left and below left but there are lots of fainter (but similar) objects all the way across the bottom and surrounding the galaxy. There's also a green cloud.
    Whether or not you think that there's an arc is your call. I just saw a similar looking feature, in the galaxy image that I posted, about one minute apart from seeing yours. Looking closer at yours it becomes even more interesting.
    I agree with zutopian, ?jet, ?voorwerpje and ?starforming clusters. I'm not sure about a lensing arc. But that's just my opinion. I am no expert but I think that by raising the issue you've probably brought it to the attention of those who are.
    You could always PM a member of the science team or post it as a question in the science threads or on the forum. Good luck.

Posted

Could this be a very early stage in the formation of a spiral arm?

Posted