Galaxy Zoo Talk

Please classify this for me for training

• pchipkin by pchipkin

Please classify this for me for training

Posted

• remittancegirlgmail.com by remittancegirlgmail.com

I feel the same way. I feel like I'm trying to classify these images intelligently, looking for signs of disturbance between the galaxies, etc, in the step-through process, before I get to this page where I can use the Galaxy Zoo examine link to dig into it any further, and I arrive at the dreaded and vaguely chastizing 'notam_word' - which makes me think - wow, stupid me.

It has begun to have the effect that I simply NEVER make a guess at whether something's a merger anymore. No one enjoys being constantly wrong, without any strategy for improving and getting better.

I understand this type of crowd-sourced image/data sorting is based on multiple, uneducated, gut-reaction guesses. It is not in the interest of the system to educate me as a sorter. I guess perhaps, after having looked at 7K galaxies, it's time for me to move on.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Hi,

Just to be clear, do not take any notice of the notam_word ! It was invented by a person (with a couple of aliases) who didn't believe there was such a thing as galaxies merging. In fact if you see that word, it probably means that there is a merger going on ! 😄

As for classifying this one : The central object is a spiral galaxy, clearly disturbed and probably interacting with the smaller galaxy to the right. So, definitely a #merger here.

And it is not about uneducated guesses. It is about answering the questions as well as you can. So,if you think it is a merger, then classify it as one.

I hope this clariefies things a bit. And I really hope you will reconsider your decision to move on. It would be a real shame to see you go.

If there are other things bothering you, please feel free to contact me.

happy hunting ! 😄

Els

Posted

• Rick_N. by Rick_N. in response to ElisabethB's comment.

Clariefies or clarifies? Purposeful mishtake?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Giggle. And now I have to leave it there or else your post won't make sense ! 😄

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to remittancegirl@gmail.com's comment.

@remittancegirl@gmail.com

I can only back up what @ElisabethB is saying - ignore the 'notam_word' comments.

Galaxy Zoo is open for everyone to take part in, and with that we sometimes get volunteers who do not believe in the principles of galaxy evolution.

Trust what you see, and I look forward to seeing you back 😃

Posted

• remittancegirlgmail.com by remittancegirlgmail.com

Thanks ElisabethB and Capella05. I understand that part of the way this works is through the use of many lay 'eyeballs' but I guess, once you start looking at a lot of galaxies, you get very interested in the science. You want to know more, you want to do a better job.

I shall go back to my old fuzzy 'I think this might be interacting' merger calls. One day, I really AM going to teach myself something about red shift. Promise.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

We definitely appreciate your interest in the science!

I'm a layman in that perspective, too. I guess everyone starts out there!

Posted

• williamaskew by williamaskew in response to ElisabethB's comment.

Els hits it on the noggin again 😃

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to wtaskew's comment.

Aww, tx 😄

Posted