Galaxy Zoo Talk

Skyserver query on SIMBAD

• turelli by turelli

after SIMBD update, Skyserver doesn't retrieve data, whereas if you go to SIMBAD and query it directly it works. How do I fix this?

Posted

• turelli by turelli

SIMBAD answers "No Ident field in the query parameters"

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Not sure. SkyServer dr8 is working for me right now. SIMBAD has nothing on this OIII galaxy object (a #blue_pea), because SIMBAD is a star database, and this object is a galaxy. Sometimes SkyServer is shut down for maintenance, so wait an hour and try again. Does this help?

Posted

• turelli by turelli

Thank you, Budgieye but after SIMBAD updated their system to Version 3 (?) I always get this error message. SIMBAD only a star database? I am querying this one: http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/

Posted

• turelli by turelli

for instance, a query for this galaxy, UGC 09588, returns this result

http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-id?Ident=ugc+09588&NbIdent=1&Radius=2&Radius.unit=arcmin&submit=submit+id

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator in response to turelli's comment.

I see what you mean. It is the transfer between SDSS dr8 and SIMBAD which doesn't work automatically now. So SIMBAD says "No Ident field in the query parameters" and I have to enter the object myself. So I clicked on "Identifier query" and entered in SDSS J145412.15+301236.3 , and got lots of information on our blue pea galaxy LEDA 87676 -- HII Galaxy.

Thank you for pointing this out. I should have tried harder with SIMBAD.

General information for us all.....

SIMBAD is Set of Identifications, Measurements, and Bibliography for Astronomical Data but has been compiled from star charts.

NED is NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database and is for objects outside of Milky Way. Even NED doesn't have the distant and dim galaxies viewed by Hubble (at least they hadn't been classified several years ago when we did Hubble Zoo)

SIMBAD searches have always given trouble in the past. The search would skip to a bright star close to the galaxy, and the searcher would have to check the co-ordinates to see what the data pulled up. A quick look and I think that it still seems to have only bright galaxies and not the dimmer ones. Even NED

Maybe this new version will be better. .....and it has galaxies too. 😃

Posted

• turelli by turelli

Thank you Budgieye

Posted

😃

Posted

• turelli by turelli

FYI,
    I wrote to SIMBAD in Strasbourg and apparently there was a bug.
    There reply:

"You can hardly fix it. But we can.

The SIMBAD url used by SDSS is an old one (coming from Simbad 3 which ended in 2007).
    An apache rule translates it into a Simbad 4 URL. And changing our Simbad server last
    week, we implemented a new Apache server which had a different behavior with this rule.

This is now fixed. Let us now if you still find errors.

BTW, the SIMBAD query from your example returns no object in 1 arcmin. This can be correct.

Thank you for having reported this bug."

Posted

I am so impressed! The data was supposed to transfer to SIMBAD. Thank you turelli you are a star.

Posted

• turelli by turelli

😃

Posted