Galaxy Zoo Talk

Green and pink eye

• hilscurtisgmail.com by hilscurtisgmail.com

Can you tell me what this is? I thought it might be a star but I wanted to check as I haven't seen this before

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to hilscakes's comment.

Yes, it's a star. This is an #artifact, in a #poorqualityimage

Your time should not be wasted on things which the Science Team knows are poor quality images (one of the fundamental promises the Zooniverse makes is to not waste your time).

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Sometimes the software gets confused and tags stars as possible targets .Tagging these obviously not galaxies helps to train the automated programs in recognizing artifacts. So, it is definitely not a waste of time ! 😄 Mission accomplished !

Happy hunting ! 😄

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ElisabethB's comment.

Quite right.

The sooner we zooites tag such images as #poorqualityimage (or similar), the better, because the Science Team is constantly monitoring Talk, and regularly compiling lists of images with tags like this. They then remove them from the database, even though the number of classifications hasn't reached 20 (or whatever the current default is), because it's a serious waste of clicks to wait for 20 zooites to tell them this image, and the hundreds like it, have zero scientific value (in terms of galaxy morphology).

That's how it works, right?

Posted