Galaxy Zoo Talk

Blue stars?

• marisa_gomez by marisa_gomez

Are these forground stars? I believe so, but the elliptical is not ordinary one, Can anyone explain further what they see?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

The blue blobs could be foreground stars but I'm thinking star forming areas in the galaxy itself. It is a weird one ! πŸ˜„

Posted

Fantastic!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

This is one of the more interesting ones that I've seen. Would love a scientist's opinion.

Do the different views tell us anything? I don't yet know how to interpret those! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

I have been looking into it since yesterday, and no, I am not a scientist by trade πŸ˜ƒ (another one for your 'document' LL!)

It first turns up in the 'Catalogue of selected Compact Galaxies and of post-eruptive Galaxies' by F.Zwiky Read here

The website times out before I can actually read his conclusions. Any one else have better luck?

@DZM - I assume you mean the different filters πŸ˜‰ - in this case not much... just that the blue blobs are quite different in intensity, which would discount them as being lensed quasars. Then again I am not taking any possible time delays into account. I am still more inclined to think star formation.

Edited to add: there is also a artifact that has been 'removed' running through the image.

Posted

Looking forward to the Scientists opinion πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to Capella05's comment.

I'm having no trouble with the website, but I don't know how to find this galaxy's CGPG number to tell you what it says about this one. (Still learning!)

I'd be happy to go grab it and post it here, if I knew that... unless what I just said is somehow very silly... πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Go to the second page and search for

CGPG 0019.0+2514

You should get 3 hits - do you get any response when clicking on either of them?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Sure, all three of them open just fine for me:

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3

I have no idea what all of the information means, however. πŸ˜•

Posted

Thanks Darren πŸ˜ƒ I will have a look tomorrow. Just a bit fluey at the moment.

Posted

Capella05 please, whatΒ΄s your conclussion then?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Where did you get this image ? We are classifying single band images for now !

But to satisfy your curiosity: the two bright blue blobs are probably very active star forming areas in the galaxy.

Posted