Galaxy Zoo Talk

Would you call this galaxy barred?

• dindon by dindon

Or in this case, are the stems of the two spiral arms just giving the illusion of a bar?

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Sometimes it is difficult to tell - I would of initially classified it as having a bar, but the more I look at the galaxy the more unlikely it is.

We might see more detail in another filter or the 3 band colour image. Have you had a look?

Posted

• dindon by dindon

Here's the colour image from SkyServer:

Imgur

I would also lean somewhat towards no bar. I was just wondering if anyone had a general rule of thumb for dealing with these two-arm cases. I feel like they trip me up a lot.

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Hi Capella05 how do you look at another filter or the 3 band colour image. I tried the "View raw data in different wavelengths" button in Examine, and it didn't work.

My opinion for this is""bar", but if people give different answers, it shows that the image is not clearly one or the other, which is valuable information in itself.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Budgieye's comment.

You wait for the other images to turn up on the recents page - not a very scientific method as not every image will get commented on! I have come across a few, but I don't have the time to keep track of all of them 😃

Posted