Galaxy Zoo Talk

Not sure

• Valaquesse by Valaquesse

Have classified it as single spiral arm unbarred with lens or arc feature but not sure if that's right.

Posted

• bernoullilemniscate by bernoullilemniscate

Good as any. This is an U-band (ultraviolet) image. I find these images almost impossible to classify as there are so few details. I would suggest that you just give your best shot and go on. After you classify it you can examine it in skyserver, but don't be surprised if you are way off. I have found that if you look at the sky server images of enough of these UV images, you can get somewhat of a "feel" for what you are seeing but its a long way from perfect.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Valaquesse's comment.

Hi @Valaquesse,

Just classify what you see - we are trying to determine what features are more obvious in what bands / filters.

Spirals do not usually have enough mass to cause strong gravitational lensing, so I would discount this galaxy as having a arc/lens. Also, it would be really difficult to make out in just one filter 😃

As I have said before - just go with your gut instinct - there is no wrong answer!

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to bernoullilemniscate's comment.

@bernoullilemniscate

I have found that if you look at the sky server images of enough of these UV images, you can get somewhat of a "feel" for what you are seeing but its a long way from perfect.

Please do not classify an image by what you expect to see on SkyServer - classify an image by what you are actually seeing. There is a reason why!

Thanks! 😃

Posted

• bernoullilemniscate by bernoullilemniscate in response to Capella05's comment.

Does that mean that these amorphous UV images should be classified as #irregular and go on?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Just answer the questions as well as you can. If that means you'll end up with irregular that is fine. 😄

Posted