Galaxy Zoo Talk

Classifying

• WEBs_in_space by WEBs_in_space

When marking these, would I tag it tidal debris (I would be guessing) or the next ODD category as irregular?
    Those to have always stumped me. 😕

Stay cool

ME

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

I'd go for a disturbed spiral, definitely not an irregular.

Posted

OK, first off, thanks EB, but I would call this an elliptical. How is it a spiral, what am I missing here?
    It looks soft and fluffy like a marshmallow = elliptical, right?

Then Q.2: To me irregular means messed up, this looks messed up, non?

Stay cool
    ME

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

I see a fuzzy spiral arm at the top and a big bulge.

And irregular means just that they are neither spirals or ellipticals. Here's a quote from Wiki :

An irregular galaxy is a galaxy that does not have a distinct regular shape, unlike a spiral or an elliptical galaxy.[1] The shape of an irregular galaxy is uncommon – they do not fall into any of the regular classes of the Hubble sequence, and they are often chaotic in appearance, with neither a nuclear bulge nor any trace of spiral arm structure.[2]

Hope this helps. 😄

Posted

I do see the 'arm' now, still at first glance I would not see it... at 700+ classifications, I guess I made a few boo-boos! :p
    Good thing I am not the only one to classify an item.
    Also, when you say disturbed, do you mean Tidal Debris?
    Thanks again,

Stay cool
    ME

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to WEBs in space's comment.

'Disturbed' can refer to the galaxy in question not being conform or symmetrical in it's appearance.

In other words if you split the galaxy in half - length / width wise - and compare the two side they will be quite different. Although merging / interaction is a major cause of it, it is not necessarily the only reason 😃

~ Capella05

Posted