Galaxy Zoo Talk

Very Similar!

• metalmania by metalmania

This DECaLS image (AGZ000amg7) is very similar to AGZ000b0v3
    However I can see some subtle differences - I imagine in a universe this big then you are going to get doppelgangers.

This Illustris image AGZ000a07j is very very similar to
    this AGZ000ag5s - I'm guessing if they are not the exact same then the SIM must be very similar.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

It is not unusual to see galaxies with a similar morphology - that is why we have different classes of galaxies!

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian in response to metalmania's comment.

This Illustris image AGZ000a07j is very very similar to this AGZ000ag5s - I'm guessing if they are not the exact same then the SIM must be very similar.

Both images ( AGZ000a07j and AGZ000ag5s) show the same galaxies (duplicates) and the same galaxy is the central object to be classified! Just the backgrounds are slightly different! The reason is following.:

GZ astronomer KWillett wrote following in another discussion.:

(..) The Illustris galaxies currently in GZ actually show up multiple times - we show the exact same galaxy, but against four different backgrounds. We're analyzing the classifications of these different images to see how (if at all) changing the background affects the data.(...)

http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000006/discussions/DGZ0001mes

Posted

• metalmania by metalmania

Ah, thanks zutopian, that would explain the Illustris similarity. cheers.

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian in response to metalmania's comment.

You are welcome! Here is the image, where the another galaxy is the central object.: AGZ000aat8

Posted