Galaxy Zoo Talk

What

• tina_pixie_ by tina_pixie_

What is the explanation of this?

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

This is a disturbed galaxy, quite amazing!

Posted

Thanks for the explanation.

I am sometimes not sure how to press buttons for such shapes (feel limited with the options).

There is a number of such disturbed or barred, but I do not know how to indicate it with the offered buttons. Do I go to spiral ones, press x for everything and then indicate "disturbed" in the last menu? (although disturbed is not offered all the times)

Thanks

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

When I look at distant galaxies, sometimes I don't know if I am looking at an elliptical galaxy with no features, or a spiral that is so far away that I can't see any features. If 50% of people class one way, and 50% the other, that gives up information about the galaxy, in that it is hard to see what it is. So if a scientist wanted a list of 1000 good ellipticals to study, the scientist wouldn't use this one.

Posted

I completely understand what you say.

Also, by learning (I have several other pages opened, so I could identify better and more accurate), I kind of start seeing features of spiral in what I thought in the beginning as elliptical. That is why the buttons confuse me. Especially feel limited when there is a lens shape or pseudoarcs or "discs" (concentric circles around). Not sure how to classify concentric "torus like" circles except "other".

Posted