Galaxy Zoo Talk

Help with classification

• Ant232_ by Ant232_

Hello,
    Any guide on what way to classify this?
    Thank you.

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Tough one, but there is no right answer. For me spiral, tidal trails, dustlane and irregular.

Posted

• Ant232_ by Ant232_ in response to Budgieye's comment.

Thank you

Posted

• karthikeyan.d by karthikeyan.d in response to Budgieye's comment.

Doesn't "irregular" refer to Irregular galaxies? For this galaxy we could add "disturbed" too.

Posted

Yes, the classification process leads me to irregular. Though really it probably it is a disturbed spiral. Or maybe messy merger of two ellipticals with many tidal trails. Yep, a master's degree right there!

Posted

• karthikeyan.d by karthikeyan.d in response to Budgieye's comment.

You mean that the list of ODD things showed Irregular but not Disturbed? I too have seen that some times and wondered why Disturbed was left out.

Posted

There are different decision trees for different projects. After many different projects, and three projects running concurrently now, I can get confused.

Blog: Visualizing the decision trees for Galaxy Zoo by April 6, 2015 by Kyle Willett (Coleman Krawczyk) https://blog.galaxyzoo.org/2015/04/06/visualizing-the-decision-trees-for-galaxy-zoo/

enter image description here

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

*four projects 😂

Posted

Aaah.... Let me see.

DECaLS

FERENGI (dim red objects)

GAMA-KiDS

what am I missing?

Posted

Hmm maybe seen as the same as DECaLS then but,

Reclassifying of older SDSS odd bunch / ZOAG galaxies?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

I think the DECaLS images are done ! I'll ask around ! 😄

Posted

Ah ok, you'd think DECaLS has a nearly infinite supply of galaxies to classify.

Posted

We keep running out of galaxies. With SDSS we have looked at a million of the closest and best. The rest look small and dim, and we need better telescopes. But with increasing magnification, we see only a smaller portion of the sky with each images, so need to take more images, which takes longer and costs more money.

Posted

• BioMiep by BioMiep

Meanwhile, this new classification menu is a lot more elaborate and fun to work with than it was a while ago. (i did classifications before but i had no account) With the added benefit of TALK, it is a lot more enjoyable and educational. Certainly never boring.

Posted