Galaxy Zoo Talk

Is this a S0 Galaxy ?

• cafeeciencia by cafeeciencia

Is this a S0 Galaxy ?

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

Fig. 5 shows 2 elliptical galaxies ( the first one, however, is labelled SO in a NED note).

But in Galaxy Zoo we have learnt that ellipticals should have no features whatsoever.

AGZ000cz0u has a prominent bar structure, so I suppose it ought to be classified as a barred lenticular galaxy, SBO, here in Galaxy Zoo.

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

As I wrote, I very much doubted that the galaxy in question should be classified as an elliptical.

It would be interesting to hear Budgieye's or ElisabethB's opinion on the matter.

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

It has pointed ends, so for me it is an edge-on spiral.

If I see a football shape (American football or rugby ball, oval with pointy ends) but has a dustlane, then it is an edge-on lenticular.

enter image description here football shaped galaxy, with dust lane

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_galaxy

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

Thanks! A bit confusing with that big halo. One must remember to look for pointed ends.

Posted

• zoob1172 by zoob1172

http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Sept11/Buta/Buta5.html fig. 5

5.1. Elliptical and Spheroidal Galaxies table 4 or try Level5 NED classifications

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

I admit that the E+7 galaxy in figure 4 looks similar to AGZ000cz0u. But the bar-like structure in that example seems to taper off towards the edges of the galaxy.

In AGZ000cz0u, on the other hand, there is an even structure which stretches all the way. That indicates an edgeon, I think.

AGZ000cz0u must be an unusual galaxy and it's very difficult to label. I haven't seen one like that before.

By the way, it's a pity that you deleted earlier posts in the thread. That makes the discussion very incoherent to people who read it.

Posted

• zoob1172 by zoob1172

It's consolidation. Nothing lasts forever.

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

People will be wondering whether I was answering imaginary posts.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to CeciliaB's comment.

Some people can have that effect ! 😄

Posted