Galaxy Zoo Talk

What hashtags do I use ?

• Keco by Keco

I'm new to this project and just looking for a list of hashtags to use to support this subject. Thanks

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Welcome to Galaxy Zoo, Keco. This version of Talk doesn't have a thesaurus of hashtags. I would suggest #edgeon #dustlane and possibly #bulgeless.

Posted

Maybe someone (Is there a librarian in the house?) could start an informal thesaurus of hastags, so that when we go to the next version of Talk, we will have some ready to go. Then we could avoid the problem of multiple spellings.

Posted

Soon, the hashtags should pop up when you start typing. In the meantime, here are some common tags

spiral

merger

starforming

overlap

disturbed

bar

ring

artifact

dustlane

edgeon
    irregular

starburst

barred

star

agn

ugc

elliptical

tidal

clumpy

What else can I think of?

nuclearring

doubledustlane EDIT double_dust

offaxisbar

quasar

pea (OIII galaxy)

lensarc (lensed galaxy)

lensquasar (lensed quasar)

buriedring

Posted

• jeffreyhrwtz by jeffreyhrwtz

Voorwerp, multiple_dustlanes. Part of the fun of classifying is going to the "discuss" page and seeing what others have observed!

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

I'd start with the official GZ collections tags: https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/?_ga=1.244656832.476670387.1443719759#/boards/BGZ0000004/discussions/DGZ0000vv1

Official is double_dust btw.

NGC, asteroid, transient

Posted

Thank you Ghost Sheep, I should have remembered that.

EDIT

A collection of Collections! https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/?_ga=1.244656832.476670387.1443719759#/boards/BGZ0000004/discussions/DGZ0000vv1

NGC objects | Info | | CGZL00003q | #NGC

Zooniverse Galaxy of the Week (ZGOTW) | Info | CGZL00003t | #ZGOTW

Gravitational lensing | Info | CGZL00000h | #lens

UGC catalogue | Info | CGZL00003w | #UGC

Asteroids! | Info | CGZL00003x | #asteroid

Markaryan objects | Info | CGZL00003y | #MRK

X-Shaped bulges | Info | CGZL000040 | #x-shaped (some confusion about using capital X or small x

Polar Rings | Info | CGZL000047 | #polar

Comets! | Info | CGZL00004c | #comet

Nebula | Info | CGZL00004m | #nebula

DECaLS Red Artifacts| CGZL00006l | #decals_red_artifact

Multiple Dust Rings / Lanes | CGZL00006m | #double_dust

Collisional Ring Galaxies | Info | CGZL00006q | #collisional-ring

broken spiral arm?

satellite

comet (not many of these)

TIEfighter , there are quite a few, https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000006/discussions/DGZ0000l0f

redspiral

blueelliptical

quasar

blazar

bulgey (as in opposite to bulgeless)

#wrongsize

#badsim

#LSB low surface brightness

#shell

#blazar (white nucleus)

#binary_nucleus

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

Here are a few more:

tidal tail

tidal loop

tidal debris

blue elliptical

double nucleus

SNe

pseudo ring

bulgeless

ringed

shell

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR in response to Budgieye's comment.

Will our collections be transferred? (Probably not :\ ) And what will happen with all the threads etc. here? Inactive like it is with the old GZ forum now?

Ansae 😄

Posted

Good question.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Ghost_Sheep_SWR's comment.

Speaking from experience - No and I don't know. The old GZ forum was third party software, so it can stay 'intact' indefinitely without impacting on the current platform. I very much doubt the current 'Talk' and future 'Talk' would be able to exist / be accessed at the same URL. Hopefully it will be archived.

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR in response to Capella05's comment.

Hi again Capella05 😃

I'd understand if they can't / won't transfer existing threads and information to a new Talk.

But if this means everything will be thrown out / deleted that would be a monumental waste of time ( one of the GZ pillars) and of potential for discovery and scientific publications. Ofcourse I know nothing of new Talk or how the transfer will be done but I would like to urge the powers that be to:

• go through this Talk with the intent of making sure all flagged objects and threads that haven't been followed up either don't need follow-up or find a way to get publications out. Ofcourse I don't mean every single object that is commented on but I can point to a dozen objects / threads right away that probably deserve serious attention, and that's just the ones I'm aware of. Maybe interesting for PhD research?

• because I'm convinced there is still much potential burried in here to keep this Talk accessible. There's collections people have build, GZ collections, potential for discovery in many objects and threads, but also The Index for example, etc. etc. And ofcourse the solution might be as simple as archiving it like ye olde forum or just using a different URL for new Talk.

Just for the record, here are the exclamation marks I've left out in above writing: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having said that I'm actually curious to the new Talk, is there a beta already somewhere? I hope it isn't the standard format every new project uses now, it always gives me a chaotic and very confined feeling.

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

I agree with Ghost Sheep on the importance of trying to keep the current 'Talk' available for the future. One wouldn't want people's valuable work to be wasted!

In the digital world we live in, it seems to me that there is only one way to avoid losing one's information - to have it written down on paper 😃

Posted