Galaxy Zoo Talk

Colour variation, please explain.

• CyberPaddy66 by CyberPaddy66

I have classed this as a smooth intermediate galaxy with no obvious features but I don't know why there appears to be a colour change between the lighter top right and the darker bottom left, could someone please explain to me why this would happen?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

The colour variations are due to misaligned filters. There just an optical artifact.

Posted

• CyberPaddy66 by CyberPaddy66

Yes, saw the worse pic on the space police discussion so will keep an eye out for future errors like this. Is there an easy way to get the corrected pic to classify on here?

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Usually there is raw images somewhere, but this is a GAMA - KiDS image, and I don't know much about them. Can anyone help?

Otherwise, you can look up in diffferent surveys to see if the same thing happen.

Posted

• Ghost_Sheep_SWR by Ghost_Sheep_SWR

Well ofcourse we can't change the images we are offered to classify.

But if you want to see other images of this galaxy you can always try and check if it is imaged in other surveys such as SDSS, PanSTARRS or the different surveys on the DeCALS viewer.

And here you can create three-color images of different surveys using the 'RGB Combined' option and choosing three bands / surveys, including the VSTKIDS bands; http://cutout.icrar.org/psi.php

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Thank you for the info Ghost_Sheep_SWR. I'll repost in Index and GAMA/KiDS featured discussion.

Posted