Galaxy Zoo Talk

how to find the Adjacent frames

• liometopum by liometopum

AGZ00084d8 #interacting with (adjacent bottom frame) AGZ00084cr by C_cld 8 days ago

refers to an adjacent frame. How do we find what the adjacent frames are? I have been wanting to see the bigger picture since we started these Hubble images.

AGZ00084cr
    enter image description here

Posted

AGZ00084ce

Both are shown in this one image:

Posted

AGZ0000zkl

and then there is this Hubble image:

Posted

1. How can we find adjacent images?
    2. How can we see Hubble images?
    3. Is there a way to scroll over, for example, the Hubble Deep Field, and zoom in at any given coordinates?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to liometopum's comment.

I am much less familiar with how the latest round of Hubble images, here in GZ, are named ... however, you may be able to work out what the mapping from position (RA, Dec) to field name (the seven plain ascii characters after the "AGZ' header) is. Here's how I worked something like this out, for the RGZ (radio galaxy zoo) ones:

• take a bunch of images, extract their (RA, Dec) coordinates and their IDs
    • convert the IDs - just the last four characters - to an integer; you'll have to guess whether the sequence 0 ... 9 comes after a ... z or before it. Call this "ID"
    • plot RA against ID, plot Dec against ID
    • from the plots, guess what mapping might be

In RGZ, the mapping is by RA; the RGZ fields are ordered by the RA of the central (FIRST) source, and as radio sources are distributed ~evenly across the (FIRST) sky, a simple linear relationship gives you an ID that's close to that of the field you seek (in RA). Then a few iterative steps gets you there (of course, your target may not be in the posted fields).

A somewhat similar mapping was used in the Andromeda Project, except that it was like a TV raster pattern ...

For the parts of the sky imaged by Hubble in this round, I think all the data is available from MAST. However, I don't think you'll find the multi-filter images there (they were created specifically for GZ).

Hope this helps.

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

I am trying to find adjacent images too. But not having much success. See link for some Hubble sites.

http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000003/discussions/DGZ0001c57 at bottom of page

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

here is the one to the right http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/AGZ00084bc

enter image description here

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to liometopum's comment.

One more thing ... for what it's worth, "a 'cone search' tool" is one of the things mentioned in the OP of the Suggestions on how to improve Talk ... thread. If you had such a tool, you'd certainly be able to - fairly quickly - find 'adjacent fields'! 😮

The new Talk will, I think, have something like this. However, it may be that the new Talk is not 'backward compatible' with this current Talk, much as Talk and the original Galaxy Zoo forum are totally incompatible. If so, among other things, that might mean you'd have to copy/paste/re-create much/most/all of what you post here ... (perhaps DZM could comment?)

Posted