Galaxy Zoo Talk

Cloud2?

• Rob995 by Rob995

The third case today... Sorry i can't distinguish an interstellar cloud in front of a star (or behind if it reflects; i know that exist case like these) from a galaxy.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

This is again a smooth and round galaxy with a fairly bright core. Almost all the other small round objects are foreground stars from our galaxy.

Happy hunting ! 😄

Posted

• Rob995 by Rob995

I don't know, interstellar clouds appear different? Because if i see a very round object and i see a good circular halo, i imagine that this halo is formed from scattering. Or if the same doesn't happen to the nearby stars too, i can imagine that the round body on the centre could emit radiation that other objects don't emit, so that this light is re-emitted, at different wavelenghts, by the cloud only "around" that object. However, the question is one, there is a method to distinguish? 😃

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

If you see something like the object in the center of this image it is safe to assume that it is a galaxy. Especially it it has this yellow/orange color.

hope this helps.

Posted

• Rob995 by Rob995

Yes helps a lot 😃 Now there are less risks that in these days i fill the board with segnalations of clouds. 😃

Posted