Galaxy Zoo Talk

In GZ papers, have you ever seen reference to what zooites wrote in Comments or Discussion threads?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

I read the official GZ papers (those which are listed on the Zooniverse Publications page) pretty assiduously, likewise those from RGZ.

With the exception of papers on specific objects, or classes of object, first identified in the GZ forum (e.g. Hanny's Voorwerp, Green Peas), I do not recall any explicit mention of how (or even if) our Comments and Discussions influence, or are inputs to, any of the analyses reported in any of 47 papers*. From your reading of these papers, have you come across any such?

I'd really love it if there were such explicit mentions, but sadly it seems nothing any of us writes here ends up in any published papers. 😦

Of course, what we write certainly does influence the course of GZ-based research; for example, reports of bugs in classification interfaces, or suggestions on how to improve tutorials, generally get addressed quickly ...

*Clery (2011) may be an exception; however, it seems to be behind a paywall. Also, there are no RGZ papers there yet, I guess because none have yet been published. In other Zooniverse projects things may be different, e.g. Planet Hunters, Space Warps

Posted