Galaxy Zoo Talk

Re '#radio source in merger with seyfert 1 galaxy'

• nyjtm by nyjtm

Just for my information - how did you decide that?

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

It is listed as such on Simbad - http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr9/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?ra=359.3406935513418&dec=0.435158688629769

I prefer to encourage people to analyse the image (and comment about it!) as if they were classifying, before resorting to external sources that are not always correct! πŸ˜ƒ

Not entirely convinced it is a merger personally.

Posted

• nyjtm by nyjtm

That's what a try to do, but I get curious! Thanks.

Posted

• sat666leg by sat666leg

possible merger.. same z. depending on velocity and mass and of course direction. the smaller galaxy might just shoot by and leave some tidal debris..

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to sat666leg's comment.

There could also be contamination in the spectra, therefore giving biased redshift results for both galaxies. I still think the orange edge on is a lot futher away. Perhaps there is an additional galaxy in the upper right of the central mass that can attest to the disturbed nature of the main galaxy?

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB in response to Capella05's comment.

I just thought it looked like a merger. Sorry!

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to CeciliaB's comment.

No reason to be sorry πŸ˜ƒ

A interesting discussion has grown from your original post πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB in response to Capella05's comment.

ItΒ΄s just that, as a volunteer - while one wants to help with the classifying - after an endless row of "blobs" and pictures from Illustris, one is longing for a thing of beauty or interest. When such an object comes up at last, one can be curious to find out more (as you have written about yourself in #1 How do I find out more information about the galaxy I have classified?) and be tempted to post that information.

When you write in your post above and I quote: "...before resorting to external sources that are not always correct!", does that mean that you would prefer that we refrained from posting any information we may have looked up about the objects?

I personally think that it can be quite interesting sometimes to know that it is for instance a confirmed AGN one is looking at. I wonder if anyone agrees...

Posted

• sat666leg by sat666leg

i tend to classify, then if its interesting. look on decals or sdss, then leave a comment.
    its interesting to see what other people think. and you learn more as you go. which i find helps when your classifying.
    not one individual is 100% right.

Posted