Galaxy Zoo Talk

puzzled

• tina_pixie_ by tina_pixie_

Is this really a dust lane?

This one I find very puzzling.
    At first sight it seems like there is a developing bar and one can see tidal debris.
    When I invert the colours, looks like two huge masses being pulled into one point...

Any comments? How did other people classify it?

Thanks,

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

The dustlane is better visible in the Skyserver image :

enter image description here

As for the classification : a very disturbed galaxy for me.

Happy hunting ! 😄

Posted

• KWillett by KWillett scientist, admin, translator

Nice comparison, ElisabethB - it's definitely more visible in the SDSS filters. I think that might be a general feature - the DECaLS images are in the g,r, and z bands, while SDSS were in g,r, and i. That means the lowest-wavelength band in DECaLS is a little bit redder, which means it's less susceptible to absorption by dust - so you'd expect dust lanes to be slightly less prominent in these images than the old Galaxy Zoo 1 and 2 images.

Posted

• KWillett by KWillett scientist, admin, translator

I'm a bit surprised that the dust lane wasn't more commonly selected, by the way - out of the first 40 people to classify it, only 6 identified the dust lane. Compare that to 3 who identified a pair of overlapping galaxies, 4 as "other", and 1 as irregular.

Posted

• tina_pixie_ by tina_pixie_

Thanks a lot!

I really appreciate the feedback (and I have learned about galaxies in one week more than ever before). Really helps to identify better.

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Thank you KWillet from me too, because I was wondering about how the filters affected the image.

Posted