Galaxy Zoo Talk

Doris Again--Another New Post

• kellehercj by kellehercj

Hi, my name is Doris and my grandson, Tymothy told me to check out this nifty website and I gotta say, I'M HOOKED! I cannot believe that I'm already making my SECOND POST. I was pretty darn (pardon my French) sure that this was a smooth galaxy with some overlapping but would like to hear the input of the rest my new Galaxy Zoo pals. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm afraid my grandson won't talk to me again if I don't know a lot about stars.

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Hi Doris, thank you for enthusiasm. There is information here useful for starters, browse through the list on the left side. I suggest starting with

Galaxy Redshift Chart  http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000001/discussions/DGZ0000ulp?page=2

Yes, I would say that it is a smooth galaxy. There may be an overlap with the small galaxy on its upper right, but there are many stars of our galaxy in the image, which is confusing.

Posted

• EyeOnSkies by EyeOnSkies

right bottom, always an object brighter than everything else...I really want to understand them...dont seems like a common star, seems like something made by inteligent people.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to EyeOnSkies's comment.

It's a fairly bright star, for SDSS and DECaLS, just like thousands of others.

Here's what the field looks like in SDSS:

enter image description here

The 'compass points' are called diffraction spikes, and they are an optical effect due to the 'spider vanes' - thin metal strips which hold the secondary mirror in place - inside the telescope.

Hope this helps, and happy hunting! 😃

Posted