Galaxy Zoo Talk

What is that??? There is another object unseen in this picture as well, what is this???

• DylanGrey by DylanGrey

Was doing my first time at galaxy zoo, wasn't sure if my contributions earlier were accurate or not, and then I saw this picture and the more I analyze it, the more I am fascinated, could someone please explain what we are looking at? I thought it was either pixels problems, but then I went to the legacysurvey.org link and saw that the object isn't alone, there are other pixels on other scan pictures specificly the DECALS DR 1 & 2 Images and models, and if that is a beam coming from that object and going into that galaxy, or somewhere into it at least, could it be harvesting off energy? or putting something into the galaxy? it almost looks like a star with some sort of planet sized object harvesting the star for use in travel to another solar system, if that is in fact a galaxy, then those two objects if you include the unseen one(IF THEY ARE NOT PIXELS) are literally bigger than stars...? I am not entirely sure, probably because I am not educated enough to look at all of this data and able to postulate while knowing with high degrees of accuracy what I am looking at. Thanks for your help, my curiosity is very intrigued. Although like I said, this could only be pixels, I am not sure what kind of scans the survey did exactly on this area, but if I am right, the objects may or may not be there anymore due to finishing whatever they were doing at the time. I know it is kinda crazy, but it isn't unlikely. xD

http://legacysurvey.org/viewer?ra=134.6098&dec=3.3937&zoom=15&layer=decals-dr2

http://legacysurvey.org/viewer?ra=134.6098&dec=3.3937&zoom=15&layer=decals-dr2

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator in response to DylanGrey's comment.

Yes, lovely galaxy. Your first guess was correct - the funny yellow area is a patch of bad pixels. It is where a cosmic ray hit the ccd plate, and ruined a bit of the picture. It is on DECaLS dr1 and dr2, but not on SDSS because that is a different survey, and the picture taken at a different time. There are lots of cosmic ray hits on the images, I don't even notice them anymore.

We are looking at a galaxy with billions of stars. The little dots that you see are not individual stars, they are too small, but pixellation of the image. Stars would be much, much smaller than a pixel.

Enjoy your galaxy hunting.!

Posted